Today we kicked off our 2016 NCLR Annual Conference in Orlando. The day was filled with workshops, the opening of the National Latino Family Expo, and a speech from Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.).
Below are some highlights from the first day of our biggest event of the year.
Our first day started bright and early with a session on our legislative victories over the past year.
We are excited to bring back one of our most popular events of the year: the 2015 NCLR National Latino Family Expo, which will take place July 11–13 as part of this year’s NCLR Annual Conference in Kansas City, Missouri.
The Expo is open to all—you don’t have to be registered for our Conference to attend and enjoy this weekend of free, fun, and educational activities for the entire family. More than 100 exhibitors will offer engaging information, free health screenings, advocacy opportunities, giveaways, awesome promo items, and much more.
- Get the free NCLR Annual Conference app! iOS | Android
- Watch the Conference live (will start streaming on Saturday)
The Expo will be divided into six pavilions, each with a specific theme. Use the information below to plan your visit. And yes, it’s all free!
- Need help buying a home? Wondering how to better manage your money? At the Community/El Barrio Pavilion, you can meet with housing and financial counselors for free, thanks to support from the U.S. Treasury Department.
- Get your career moving! Network and discover jobs and educational opportunities at the Career and Education/Tus Oportunidades Pavilion.
- At the Health/Tu Salud Pavilion, you can receive free vision, dental, diabetes, and blood pressure screenings and even sit in on a cooking demonstration to learn tips on healthy eating.
- Heads up, sports fans: the COPA NCLR is back! The popular youth soccer tournament will take place on the official mobile field of Sporting Kansas City as part of the KC Experience Pavilion. In addition, the Kansas City Royals will have pitching and batting stations for you to test your baseball skills, and the Kansas City Chiefs cheerleaders will be on hand.
- At the Science and Technology/El FuturoPavilion you can get hands-on experience with scientific devices, view innovative car displays, and see the latest in digital communications.
- Learn more about NCLR’s work at our Advocacy Central booth, located in the NCLR Family/Familia Pavilion. You’ll also have the chance to receive information and free schwag from UPS.
We hope to see you in Kansas City! Visit nclr.org/events for more information on the 2015 NCLR Annual Conference and the 2015 NCLR National Latino Family Expo
That’s right, First Lady of the United States, Michelle Obama will join the NCLR familia in New Orleans next month at our 2013 NCLR Annual Conference.
The Conference this year, themed “Rise as One,” title-sponsored by Toyota and Walmart, will feature more than 60 workshops, four town halls, five key meal events including the Latinas Brunch and the NCLR Awards Gala and multiple networking opportunities. It also features a list of other impressive speakers including legendary entertainer Rita Moreno, National Urban League President and CEO Marc Morial, W.K. Kellogg Foundation President and CEO Sterling Speirn, Telemundo news anchors José Díaz-Balart and María Celeste Arrarás, Girl Scouts of America CEO Anna Maria Chávez, baseball great Minnie Miñoso and many more.